Re: tulip.c broken, old_tulip works - how do I help debugging?

From: Johan Kullstam (kullstam@ne.mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 18:59:49 EST

Jens Benecke <jens@pinguin.conetix.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have one of these "NetGear" 10/100MBit PCI ethernet devices. When I use
> the tulip driver, I can connect to my machine normally for some time, but
> after a period of inactivity (minutes, sometimes hours) when I try to
> connect again, the connection is gone. ifconfig eth0 down, rmmod tulip,
> ifconfig eth0 ... up has always solved the problem, but this is not really
> a solution. the old_tulip works for me, for now at least.
>
> Question: Is there any demand in debugging this

yes, there's you at least. me, i have trouble using a 21041 card with
drivers later than 0.91. this includes 0.91g and 0.91x.

> or is the tulip knowingly
> broken

yes. i've complained about my problems. a few others have the same
thing as i too.

> and this is a known bug? If you want me to debug it, how would I go
> about it?

i don't know. you can find 0.89h, 0.91, 0.91g and 0.91x. other
versions are apparently in the great bit bucket in the sky never to be
found again. it's hard to regress when there is a spotty chain of
patches.

<URL:http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html>

and since the webpage doesn't mention it, you can find these versions
at

<URL:ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3>

best of luck

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[kullstam@ne.mediaone.net]