Server failure resistent nbd (net block devices)

From: David Krix (davidkrix@geocities.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 09:34:57 EST

Howdy y'all,

Do you think it's possible to have the nbd client-server software to be
tolerant for server failure? I have a couple of X-terminals that export
their /dev/fd0 device via "./nbd-server 1024 /dev/fd0h1440" and all just
works fine when I'm doing a "./nbd-client clientIP 1024 /dev/nb0" on the
terminal server. Problem now is, that some dumb user might switch of that
terminal and thus kill the nbd-server process :-(. Now even if I restart
that process I figured that all communcation between nbd-server and
nbd-client is broken :-(.

Now do you think it's possible to have nbd act more of like NFS e.g. have
temporal server downs not affecting the system???

Or has anybody already have a solution for this???

Thanx in advance,
David