Re: /dev/random oddness

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 03:35:04 EST

Russell King wrote:

> On the thinkpad, doing an 'od -t x1 -Ax /dev/random' and moving the
> mouse in a console results in a lot of bytes being generated from
> the device. However, on a NetWinder, it results in very few, less
> than 1/10th of what the x86 machine produces.

[...]

> Does anyone have any clues what might be causing this odd behaviour?
> I haven't scanned over random.c in any great depth yet.

Ha! It's working! The time stamp counter on i386 is used to gain a LOT
more random bits every time you move your mouse than what can be
achieved without the TSC. So, the random driver is correctly blocking,
giving you only the reduced amount of data...

                                Roger.

 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."