2.3.42: Strange memory corruption

From: Patrick Mau (patrick@oscar.prima.de)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 23:14:33 EST

Hello all,

I have a really strange memory corruption problem with
2.3.42. My system configuration is as follows:

ASUS P2B-DS Dual CPU Board
2 x Pentium III 450 MHz
256MB RAM
Onboard Adaptec 7890

I have a bzip2 compressed file which is >260MB.
I run md5sum a few times. The file is larger then
available RAM so it is read from disk every time.

After a few md5sums I get different checksums.
Now I check the file with bzip2 and get a CRC error.

Now I make a copy (plain 'cp') of that file.

Then I repeat the above with the copy and get different
checksums and also CRC errors from bzip2. (I expected that).

--> Here comes the strange part <---

Now I reboot into 2.3.30. Same config.
And BOTH files, even the 'corrupt' copy, are
correct. I can run the md5sum test AND can uncompress
BOTH of them. I can always reproduce that.

Can somebody please comment on that ?

cheers,
Patrick