Re: Reverse engineering Windows drivers.

From: Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin (d_odonnabhain@vistech.ie)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 20:05:10 EST

Patrick Roberts wrote:

> I'm trying to find some correct settings for my video card that I'm writing a
> utility for. Can anyone recommend some freeware that:
>
> 1) Disassembles windows programs/drivers/dlls under linux (or do I HAVE to buy
> and install Windows...God forbid!)

 Try IDA Free Version
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/disasm/ida37fw.zip
 - very good. Might run under DosEMU. Allows you to interactively change
function
names, whether a region is treated as code/data etc.
There is also a commercial verion at http://www.datarescue.com/ida.htm .

> 2) Under Windows, can access the PCI regs and can dump the contents of hardware
> mapped memory to a file.

 Found these at http://www.yourvote.com/pci/

  PCITree http://home.t-online.de/home/michael_reusch/
 Shows Config Space, IO and memory regions. Also allows you to edit
memory/IO/config space. Be careful this could crash your system :-)

  PCIView http://www.bluewatersystems.com/downloads/pciview.html
 NT only, shows Configuration Space only.

   Donnchadh

--

// Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin mailto:d_odonnabhain@vistech.ie // Vistech Software http://www.vistechsoftware.com // Inchvale House, Douglas West, Cork, Ireland // Ph. +353-21-918166 Fax +353-21-896142