Re: On optimising the scheduler for large run queues

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 20:46:23 EST

Marco Colombo <marco@esi.it> said:

[...]

> In other words, I won't call an application that has both high
> switch rate and causes a long RQ "well designed, well tuned".
> I can hardly think of such an application which has a good cache
> behaviour at the same time (that's my impression).
>
> So I think that an application that has both high switch rate and
> long RQ is NOT "well designed, well tuned", and you should optimize it.

This might be a legacy application that isn't worth the massive work of
rewriting, so tune & optimize is out. Question then becomes: How common
and/or important is this kind of stuff?

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616