Re: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet only works as a module?

From: James Fidell (james@cloud9.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 17:38:07 EST

Quoting Peter K (pko@paradigm-sa.com):
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, James Fidell wrote:
>
> > Under 2.2.14 (and it would seem under 2.3.40 as well), the driver for
> > this network interface appears to work as a module, but not when compiled
> > into the kernel. Is there anything I can do to try to track down why this
> > should be the case?
>
> On my kit running 2.3.40 it "works" compiled in. "works" as in 10Mb
> only. Does your card negotiate 100Mb succesfully when installed as a
> module ?

I've reinstalled the machine from scratch with RH6.1. With the default
kernel, the 8139 works in 10Mb mode. 2.2.14 with the 8139 and eepro100
drivers built as modules works, too. Same kernel, only change being those
two drivers static-linked, doesn't work. I have no idea how to go about
debugging this, so if anyone has advice, I'm listening :)

I can't get a working 2.3.4[01] at all at the moment -- the kernel
panics at boot time. I assume I've done something stupid. I haven't
tried 100Mb at all yet because my only 100Mb switch is at home.

> Perhaps using rtl8139-diag (src attached - tail <relevant .c file> for
> compile instructions) will provide you with more pointers (it didn't for
> me, but YMMV)

Thanks for this. I'll give it a go.

James.

--
 "Yield to temptation --             | Consultancy: james@cloud9.co.uk
  it may not pass your way again"    | http://www.cloud9.co.uk/james

        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell