Re: IDE weird behavior in 2.3.41 w/ synchronous FTP reception

From: Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 13:29:27 EST

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> Check for stack corruptions:
> * perhaps an internal recursion? the kernel stack is limited to ~ 7 kB.
> * writing data on the stack without checking limits? [can be very
> subtile, e.g. a superflous ";" after "for(;;)"]
>
> I would add checkpoint calls to my driver [e.g. store a number in a
> special memory location] and then modify show_registers().

Ok, I'll do that.

However, I don't know whether this is exclusively related to the PC300
driver ... Some questions keep bugging me:

- Why does it happen only in 2.3.x kernels??
- Why does it happen only when there are concurrent IDE accesses (i.e., if
  the incoming file is directed to /dev/null, the problem does NOT
  happen)??
- Why does it happen only with concurrent _IDE_ accesses (i.e., it does
  NOT happen when I use a SCSI HD instead, being everything else in the
  system still the same)??

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

Regards,
Ivan