Re: 2.3.42 loop-device-behaviour

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 11:19:24 EST

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Ralf Burger wrote:

> hi again,
> the loop-device-behaviour has changed from .40 to .42 - now the mount locks:
>
> PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
> 434 ? D 0:00 mount -t minix -o loop /tmp/fsfile /mnt/fd2
>
> and an nfs-mount also:
>
> 166 ? D 0:00 mount -at nfs
> any ideas ?
> regards
> ralf

As reported, the loop-device has been broken since 2.3.39.

Script started on Tue Feb 1 11:07:16 2000
# mke2fs /dev/loop0 2048
mke2fs 1.13, 15-Dec-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
mke2fs: Filesystem larger than apparent filesystem size.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Linux ext2 filesystem format
Filesystem label=
512 inodes, 2048 blocks
102 blocks (4.98%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
512 inodes per group

Writing inode tables: 0/1Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 5: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 13: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 21: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 29: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 37: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 45: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 53: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 61: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
done
ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write while creating root dir
#
# mke2fs /dev/loop0 1024
mke2fs 1.13, 15-Dec-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
mke2fs: Filesystem larger than apparent filesystem size.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Linux ext2 filesystem format
Filesystem label=
256 inodes, 1024 blocks
51 blocks (4.98%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
256 inodes per group

Writing inode tables: 0/1Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 5: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 13: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 21: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 29: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
done
ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write while creating root dir
# cp /dev/zero /dev/loop0
cp: /dev/loop0: No space left on device
# cp /dev/loop xxx.xxx
# ls -la xxx.xxx
-rw-r----- 1 root root 0 Feb 1 11:09 xxx.xxx
# exit
exit

Script done on Tue Feb 1 11:09:26 2000

There was a temporary patch submitted by someone else. I tested it,
but it would allow the loop-device to be used only once per boot.

So, presently I use the Ram-Disk instead of the loop device when
making 'initrd' file-systems. ---But the RamDisk doesn't work
on an non-patched kernel either. I have a patch for the RamDisk
if you haven't already gotten it.

Also, on my system, attempted use of the loop-device, destroys
the setting of my CMOS clock.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.39 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).