RE: Linux scheduler, overscheduling performance, threads

From: Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 12:44:22 EST

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, David Schwartz wrote:

> What's probably needed is a very good many-to-one threads implementation.
> That Linux doesn't have. And you need it (or at least parts of it) to
> implement Java well.

i keep seeing this. are folks aware of the hybrid (many-to-many) threads
implementation inside NSPR? NSPR is the portable run-time which is
supplied with mozilla -- visit mozilla.org to get it (it's in the nsprpub
module of the cvs i think).

NSPR threads are *not* posix threads. they're much more sane -- they have
no asynchronous notification. after having worked on signal issues on
apache for so long i am so completely convinced that no async notification
is the only way to program.

NSPR can be compiled a few different ways -- the default is one-to-one
native threads on linux i think, but there's a hybrid pthreads model in
there.

it took me a little more than a weekend to port apache to nspr... it'd
probably take someone a similar amount of time to port a jvm to nspr
(maybe netscape already has one). then you'd be able to test out the
one-to-one vs. many-to-one theories.

Dean