2.3.40 nondeath

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 06:37:12 EST

[off-topic]
Yesterday or so, I released util-linux-2.10e.

[on-topic]
Yesterday, on 2.3.40, under X, suddenly keyboard and mouse
stopped responding. Logging in from another machine all
was perfect. Also keyboard and mouse were OK. I did
a number of tests but could not discover anything wrong
other than that X seemed to have semi-died - it was still
running, but did not even reply to change vt requests -
the VT_WAITACTIVE ioctl would hang. Nothing was logged.
Now "shutdown -r now" did nothing, but "shutdown -r -n now"
(where -n says not to involve init) rebooted the machine.

Andries