Re: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 12:47:56 EST

"Davide Libenzi" <davidel@maticad.it> said:

[...]

> I need the same things You need, I'd like if this patch will be tested to
> discover :

> 1) Performance loss ( if any ) under low wordload
> 2) Performance gain ( if any ) under high wordload

As has been stated convincingly here (for me, at least) very high load
means a runqueue of at the very most 10, ridiculous overload gives some
30. So your scheduler (using your own measurements!) hurts performance
except for ridiculous overload (and contrieved benchmarks). Those aren't
the cases I want Linux to be optimized for.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616