Dosemu EMS broken by /proc/self/mem changes (Was:Problem with certain kernels and DOSEMU)

From: Alberto Vignani (a.vignani@flashnet.it)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 18:20:10 EST

On Sun, 16 Jan 100 03:16:31 jhiller@crl.com wrote on linux-msdos:

>All is well when at the dos command prompt. There are two primary dos
>apps that I use, and these have been fine. But now, with simply going
>to kernel 2.3.28 (about), right after either of these apps kick off,
>dosemu simply dies and returns me to a linux command prompt. I have
>turned on dosemu debugging, but I don't get anything back.

mem_mmap was removed from proc_mem_operations in 2.3.27. This is a kernel
feature.
mmapping /proc/self/mem is no more possible, and the call returns
-ENODEV because f_op->mmap is always NULL (see mm/mmap.c).
This means that DOS programs using EMS will fail on kernels
>2.3.26; the memory mapping used in the dosemu EMS code should be
reworked for 2.4.
If you need to use such programs, please (sigh) use kernel 2.2.

Alberto