Re: SMP filesystem corruption in 2.3.40 (and before) with sawmill "make install"

From: Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 17:36:12 EST

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 02:17:43PM -0500, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Simon Kirby wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > As per our conversion on IRC, here are all of the details.
> >
> > Installing the sawmill window manager manually on my machine seems to
> > sometimes cause one or more of the files in the sawmill themes directory
> > to be corrupted. It appears to usually be one or more .png files in the
> > /usr/local/share/sawmill/0.22/themes/microGUI directory, and it's quite
> > easy to see because the window manager will not start (or bomb out if
> > restarted while in X) when a png file is corrupted.
> >
> > I'm running on a dual processor box with 128 MB ECC SDRAM, and I've
> > noticed this back in the days when sawmill 0.15 was current (when I first
> > started using it). The problem seemed to have gone away (or happened
> > less often, I suppose) in the last few weeks, but now it just happened
> > twice in a row again, when I reinstalled sawmill from within X.
>
> Urgh... How long ago had it started? It sounds like buffer/page cache
> aliasing. Was it there before 2.3.7?

Well, I've noticed it happening occasionally ever since I started using
sawmill, and that was back when sawmill 0.16 was out. I can't seem to
find anything that says the date when 0.16 was relesed, but I was
probably running the newest 2.3 at the time (before 2.3.25, for sure).

Hmm...Now I can't seem to reproduce it anymore. :( I think it might only
be happening when I install a new version that has never been installed
before (this is when I see it, now that I think of it). However,
deleting the directories and installing the newest version again doesn't
seem to show the problem. Hmm...

I'll keep trying and let you know if I can figure it out.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]