Re: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM

From: Peter Rival (frival@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 11:57:23 EST

Stupid question, but it's Saturday and I'm on a Windows system (don't ask...).
What do people think about something like SPECWeb99 - dynamic content, CGIs,
etc? I know the biggest complaint about 96 is that it's completely static
content which a completely tweaked setup will keep completely in memory, among
other "optimisations" I've heard of.

If not SPECweb, then is there another benchmark that you can all agree with?
Preferably something that can be used to show scalability of an operating system
and hardware combination - not only in terms of CPUs and memory, but also number
of users/requests/transactions/whatever. I am also interested (not that many
people are) in what happens when the system is pushed over the edge - again,
something like the House web server when the Lewinsky paper was released. It's
important for people to know that their system will continue to run and hopefully
well even when it's completely overrun. Ideas?

 - Pete