Re: 2.2.14 feels slow and non-interactive.

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 10:19:41 EST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Jorgen Skjaanes wrote:
>
> >the box is just trying to do too much in too litle memory. So using it as a
> >desktop isn't fun anymore.
>
> Also desktop will like to avoid swapin/swaouts. In a desktop usage
> you still have to grab TV and read mailing lists.

2.2.15pre4 includes my second chance page replacement trick,
this should reduce the number of page faults a bit and make
it possible to run the same load a bit better.

I'm now running some heavy Java demos (suitably niced) which
bring my 64M box 60M into swap with quite a bit of swap I/O
going on. The system responsiveness is still snappy and my
mp3 hasn't skipped once...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.