Re: Scheduler-thoughts for v2.5.x

From: Peter Rival (frival@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 11:44:39 EST

David Weinehall wrote:

> Would it be viable to introduce several different schedulers to chose from
> in the v2.5 development-tree, as a compile-time option. This way we would
> solve most of the considerations of workstation vs webserver vs
> database-server vs ftpserver etc.
>
> I haven't got a clue if this is technically possible (well, it IS
> possible, but the question is whether it's reasonable, or if it would
> involve rewriting half the kernel to introduce such a change...), and if
> it is anything that would be interesting.
>
> Maybe this could help the people who need real-time systems too, by
> allowing them to compile the kernel with a real-time scheduler.
>
> Of course, a modular, hot-swappable scheduler would be best, but I figure
> that'd be pretty awkward to program. Or?

I'd have to imagine that compile time choice should be fairly simple.
Boot-time selection might be a bit harder, and hot-swappable would be
interesting especially if we have to completely alter the data structure that
we use for it. But I think all of it is doable - whether we want to or not, I
don't know.

 - Pete