Re: In what order are devices enumerated?

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 10:18:32 EST

Hi there.

>> I have a box with three same ethernet cards and want to know
>> what names will be assigned to them. I mean, I know the names,
>> but how can I relate their names with actual slots

> There are no way without MB docs.

Even that may not be enough.

>> or at least interrupt numbers?

> Most drivers will show you such informationon at load time. You
> can try to see it in dmesg log.

I have one system with three IDENTICAL RealTek 8029 ethernet cards,
and it doesn't matter which PCI slots I put the cards in, the same
card gets selected as eth0 each time. As far as I can work out, the
BIOS on that card is assigning the cards their ports, etc, based on
their MAC address (at least, the one with the highest MAC address
always ends up as eth0 and they go in descending MAC address, no
matter what order I plug them in).

This sounds stupid to me, but probably the simplest way to track down
what's going on is to label each card with its MAC address, then try
rearranging them and see what `ifconfig` reports as the assignment
order.

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.