Re: Linux 2.2.15pre4

From: linux.kernel@one47.demon.co.uk
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 06:25:43 EST

Could anybody point me at the details of this fix from AA (See Below) - I
can't find it on the list.

I am trying to track down a problem I have on my SMP 2.2.14 system with PPP
dynamic dial-up. Somewhere near the syslog event:
        "Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1"
I get a total hang. Magic-Sysrq does seem to work, but it normally happens
with the console blanked, and nothing is un-blanking it so no Oops!

Running with a non-modular ppp, or with ppp.o pre-inserted reduces the
frequency of the problem to 1 in 10 dial-ups (its about 1 in 3 if modular) - I
also found that aliasing the new 2.3.x devices char-major-108 and tty-ldisc-3
to "off" improves stability.

I'll give 2.2.15pre4 a go in the meantime.

Thanks,
Steve

Alan Cox wrote:

> Assorted further fixing/cleanups. Some driver updates.
> One small but important VM change. It should feel a lot faster and behave
> better under load than older 2.2.x kernels. It might not, it might seem
> worse for some loads. Feedback on this one is important, I dont want to
> improve 90% of users performance and kill 10% dead.
>
> 2.2.15pre4

[snip]

> 2.2.15pre3

[snip]