Re: Changes in fork ?

From: Piete Brooks (Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 02:17:23 EST

> I have a question about fork() (?) behaviour. The problem shows itself as
> truncated lines in ps output on processes that are forked outta daemons
> which use setproctitle() (from sendmail sources) such as sendmail, inetd
> etc. All's fine on 2.2.xx kernels, but I have the following under 2.3.xx :

> 701 ? S 0:13 inetd
> 2765 ? S 0:01 \_ ftpd: 19

If it's looking for a `problem' in fork, etc, I can't help.

If you want a simple way to have a long string in your FTPD strings, I have a
configuration (no changes to src code needed) HACK which works a treat !

Pick a random boolean flag which can be repeated, and pass that flag to the
command lots of times in its original cmmand line ...

% grep ftp /etc/inetd.conf
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.ftpd -aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
% ps axw | grep ftpX*d
18534 ? S 0:00 ftpd: pgp.net/c73815-a.roalok1.mi.home.com: ftp/IE40user@: IDLE
%

[ I've HACKed wu-ftpd to include the virtual host name ]