apm question

From: Mike Panetta (mpanetta@realminfo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 18:15:24 EST

Is there a way to get the apm support in the 2.2.x and 2.3.x kernels to
behave similer to the way it did in the 2.0 kernels? What I mean is
I used to be able to use apmd to shut down my machine when it got a suspend
event (from the power switch on my atx case) but that is no longer the case.
it no longer blocks the call back to the bios so my computer goes into suspend
mode after apmd is killed where as it used to keep shutting down (I guess it
used to loose the event in the apm event queue?).

Alternitively is there a way to tell the apm system (from a hacked apmd or
custom program) to just ignore or reject the suspend request and to throw it
away? This would be so that when apmd exists the system won't suspend...
I guess that this would be like having the suspend command dropped from the
event queue and having something else sent to the bios instead? Am I right
in that the APM bios is kind of like a state machine in that it expects to be
told certain things depending on what state its in? If thats the case would
something like the above even be possible?

I know that this is a kind of hackish way to create a "shutdown" switch
but I kind of like the way my old AT&T 3b2 did this. It was nice that pressing
the power switch did a shutdown and it would be real cool to have this style
of power capability in linux :)

Thanks,
Mike Panetta