APM and MTRR

From: Nils Faerber (Nils.Faerber@unix-ag.org)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 20:15:27 EST

Hello!
Just a little question: Should an APM suspend to disk also save the MTRR
table?
As far as I can tell my notebook's APM BIOS does not do so. After resume the
kernel still shows the old table but it is in fact empty. I discovered that
by trying to remove an entry and the kernel then said that this entry is not
there. After the first newly added entry the table is correctly outputted
again.
If the BIOS does not have to do so then I fear I found a kernel bug ;)
Possible way around (from what I understood of APM so far): Install an APM
notificating function for suspend/resume and save the table beforehand and
restore it after.

I am still having trouble with this damn Mitac Mi6020 notebook and am slowly
coming to the conclusion that the BIOS and board are completely screwed
which causes Linux (any version) to freeze at completely random points. If
the APM BIOS should save and restore the MTRR entries I would have a reason
to claim warranty and return the thing to my dealer ;) in the hope to get
another notebook (which eventually works correctly). So any help is
absolutely welcome that could uncover design flaws so I have more evidence
to return the thing and never see it again.
Thanks in advance!
CU
  nils

--