Booting Linux past the 8Gig boundary?

From: Kendall Bennett (KendallB@scitechsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 18:23:26 EST

Hi Guys,

I have a new Dell Inspiron 7500 system, and I have just installed Red
Hat 6.1 on it. However my Linux partition is located such that it
spans the 1024 cylinder boundary on my hard disk (13Gig EIDE), and
although System Commander trys to boot it, there is no valid
bootsector on the partition. When I booted off a floppy and tried to
re-run lilo, it complained about not being able to get past the 1024
cylinder boundary (and obviously did not install the boot sector).

According to the System Commander folks, most new OS'es such as
Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 can boot to partitions past the 1024
cylinder limit. So I am wondering if there is something I can do to
solve this problem on my system, and get Linux to boot?

I also want to solve this because I plan to upgrade my disk to 25Gig
so I can add more OS'es to it (such as FreeBSD and BeOS), but if I
can't boot those OS'es past 8Gig there is not much point!

Regards,

| SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software! |
| Kendall Bennett | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com |
| Director of Engineering | Phone: (530) 894 8400 |
| SciTech Software, Inc. | Fax : (530) 894 9069 |
| 505 Wall Street | ftp : ftp.scitechsoft.com |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA | www : http://www.scitechsoft.com |