Re: What happens on bogomips going wrong?

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 13:07:33 EST

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 11:18:57AM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> You're saying that for some devices, it's not "conservative" to use a
> larger delay, but instead a larger delay actually breaks the driver?

Hmmm, the message you're replying to seems to have just emerged from a
black hole... I sent it to vger three months ago.

I'm not sure what the issues were now... I ran into it quite a while
ago, and I didn't have access to an affected laptop at the time. I
think one of the issues was that a system could start out in the
"slow" mode and later clock up, which would shorten all the udelay's.
There was a timed loop in the 3c589 driver for reading the EEPROM,
that seemed to fail if the clock was sufficiently faster OR slower
than it was supposed to be.

-- Dave