Re: monster machine runs linux!

From: Larry Woodman (woodman@missioncriticallinux.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 11:17:10 EST

Derek Glidden wrote:

> I have just gotten access (through the place I work, which will have to
> remain 'nonymous) to a fully-loaded Compaq 8500 with 8 Xeon 550Mhz
> processors (yep, eight of em) with 1MB of cache each and 4GB of RAM
> along with the usual Big Compaq Server goodies like the latest Compaq
> SMART RAID controller and some flavor of dual-100Mbps Ethernet/Gigabit
> fibre network adapter type thing.
>
> The exciting thing (for me anyway) is that it is currently running
> RedHat 6.1, although with caveats: we haven't gotten it to use more than
> the first 2GB of RAM yet and the NIC is pretty finicky at 100Mbps and we
> haven't gotten the fibre channel working yet either. It does, however
> use all 8 processors without a problem, which lets it compile the kernel
> in like 35 seconds. I'm going to try to get the latest 2.3 kernel
> running on it tomorrow.

Derek,
We have a similar machine(Dell 6300) but currently with 4 cpus instead of 8.
You need 2.3 in order to use all of your memory, when you config you can
select
4GB.

BTW, Our 6300 ran 2.3.35 fine but 2.3.36 - 2.3.39 had problems booting with
all 4 cpus. I just grabbed 2.3.40 and I will try it soon.

Larry Woodman