Re: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM

From: Mark Hahn (hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 09:11:28 EST

> there are not only IO-bound servers around in the world.
> There are a lot of computing intensive high threaded applications.
> The fact is that here we can satisfy both.

this is not the issue. the issue is that volanomark is specifically
designed to create unrealistically long runqueues. the question is
whether there are real applications (NOT volanomark in loopback mode)
that have many thread which only synchronize with themselves, and
do not spend most of their time blocked on IO.

the normal case is short runqueues, so a low-latency scheduler
is the right optimization choice. if it becomes clear that some
real apps are causing long runqueues, we can add code.

regards, mark hahn.