Re: Problem with kernel upgrading

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 00:36:43 EST

In <Pine.GSO.4.10.10001202331400.27195-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu> Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu) wrote:

AV> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> In <866abi$nbb$1@news.lucky.net> Sergey Zyuzin (Sergey@z-sergey.kiev.ua) wrote:
>> > I've compiled a new kernel, installed it with Linuxconf.
>>
>> If you do not know how to install kernel without linuxconf you DEFENITELLY
>> should not do this :-)

AV> "If" bit can be safely snipped. linuxconf is a pile of junk and relying
AV> on it for anything other than eventual fsckup is insanity. Sad that it has
AV> "linux" in name...

LinuxConf can be useful sometimes. If you want to show that Linux also can be
configured via point-and-click (of course you need to have good backup of all
configuration files or sometimes even whole system before stating the beast :-)
But installation of custom kernel with it... Gosh...

>> > Root partition is /dev/hda5
>> > When it boots it sais:
>>
>> > Partition check:
>> > request-module[ide-disk]:Root fs not mounted

AV> == ide-disk is not in the kernel, even if you have it as module it's
AV> unlikely to do you any good since you have no filesystems mounted, so
AV> there's nowhere to fetch the module from and ...

initrd ?

>> > hda: driver not present
>> > VFS: Cannot open root device 03:05
>> > Kernel panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

AV> ... you are unlikely to do it anyway, since your root filesystem
AV> is on IDE disk and chances to read anything from there without ide-disk
AV> are, erm, not too exciting.

>> > And it hangs. What's the problem?

AV> WTF were you thinking about when you placed the driver of IDE
AV> disks into module living on IDE disk? Think a bit - how it was supposed
AV> to be loaded, by magic?

Perhaps. Unfortunatelly there was not enough magic in linuxconf :-( Just now
on my ssystem root lives on IDE disk and IDE is compiled as modules (if you
compiling CUSTOM kernel it's starnge thing to do but I'm using generic kernel)
so it's doable but LinuxConf was unable to cope with such kernel, that's all.

AV> Send linuxconf to the place where the sun never shines and read
AV> /usr/src/linux/README.

P.S. Do you have ideas why swapon/swapoff/dd failed ? It's not so big problem
to me (I can add format in Windows98 bootup script :-) but the whole thing
looks like swapoff does not do right thing and it can be dangerous.