Re: compile error: base/index register must be 32 bit register

From: Chris Noe (stiker@northlink.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 14:12:37 EST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Burton Windle wrote:

> OK, this must be a stupid question, but why can't the kernel have a
> configure script that checks for good, up-to-date versions of utils before
> it compiles (userspace programs do this with libraries)?

My guess is that it hasn't bothered someone enough to motivate them to
write one :)

I agree its a good idea, but I know that personally, I just don't have the
time (nor energy) to throw together something like that, maintain it,
constantly keep it up to date, etc. Or maybe there is one out there that
just hasn't been submitted/approved by Linus yet...

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)