Re: kernel panics at google

From: David desJardins (desj@google.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 17:09:35 EST

Manfred Spraul <manfreds@colorfullife.com> writes:
> How much memory is installed?
> I assume 256 MB or more.

All of these machines have 256 MB.

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
> Workaround suggestion: echo "0" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_retrans_collapse

We will try this and report back. Looking at the source, this surely
seems like a feature we can do without.

> Do all the crashes basically look identical ?

These are the only two I've seen in detail. I believe they are
generally the same, but that's hard to check.

Willy Tarreau <wtarreau@yahoo.fr> writes:
> David, you can use the KMSGDUMP tool I developped for this a while
> ago. Compile your kernel with it compiled in and you can automatically
> dump all your messages on a diskette previously inserted in the drive
> on a kernel panic. You can also get into a simple text interface in
> which you can scroll your messages, and decide to dump them or print
> them via the parallel port.

These machines don't have floppy drives or keyboards either. Only a few
have video cards (which is one reason we only have a few dumps). If we
can't get it solved another way, perhaps we can set up machines with
more hardware from which we can get more crash data. For now, it's not
clear that collecting more dumps that look the same will help, though?

  -- David desJardins