[Fwd: Known egcs/gcc bugs?]

From: johnforde (johnforde@uswest.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 17:59:44 EST

attached mail follows:

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 11:16:26PM +0100, Nils Faerber wrote:
> Hello!

Hello Nils!

> I am still hunting the cause why my notebook sometimes just freezes with
> _any_ kernel version I tested so far. The most stable solution so far is
> 2.3.39 using gcc-2.95.2-3 and binutils-2.9.5.0.22-1. So my question is if
> changing the compiler from RedHat's 6.1 egcs to gcc-2.95 could have changed
> something that toggled the freeze?

Does it freeze on boot? If so, it may be gpm causing it. Pavel
machek diagnosed this one, and the fix is to simply remove gpm from
your boot scripts. This worked fine for me, so I never tried to fix
the _real problem_.

Of course, if you haven't got to userland yet, then its not the same
problem.

Starting gpm after boot works, for some bizarre reason.

Sean