Re: kernel panics at google

From: willy tarreau (wtarreau@yahoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 11:28:14 EST

> It happens a lot, but since the machines crash, and
> they don't have consoles, it's hard for us to save
> the kernel messages. But we have a few.

David, you can use the KMSGDUMP tool I developped for
this a while ago. Compile your kernel with it compiled
in and you can automatically dump all your messages
on a diskette previously inserted in the drive on a
kernel panic. You can also get into a simple text
interface in which you can scroll your messages, and
decide to dump them or print them via the parallel
port.

Please consult
http://www-miaif.lip6.fr/willy/kmsgdump/
for more info.

Since it raises only under weird circumstances (or
Alr+SysRq+d), you may experience difficulties to dump
your messages if the kernel is really stuck. I'm
working on a new release which does most of the job
at kernel startup. In this case, even a CPU reset or
triple fault could be enough to get all the messages.

Willy