Re: 2.2.14 feels slow and non-interactive.

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 09:18:02 EST

> same time. After that when the database is doing its stuff both
> the database process and netscape gets stuck in D-state in wait_on_page
> for many seconds while the disk (Adaptec AIC7xxx contr) is trashing
> like mad. If I close netscape during this I can see the netscape

That sounds quite normal for a machine that has passed the point where the
working set for the active processes no longer fits in ram.

> ordered a new one. I sort of thought it was just being overloaded,
> and maybe it is, but processes being stuck in D-state for such a long
> time doesn't seem right. And since you asked...

Lots of paging by the sound of it. It is probably not "stuck in D state"
but "going in and out of D state a lot". The only case I'd expect it to stay
in D a lot would be if it is paging stuff in/out and hits a scsi problem
at which point it would stay stuck while the scsi error handling kicked in
but you'd have a log entry if so

Alan