xmms skipping during window drag/resize operations

From: Singh, Kirat (kirat.singh@gs.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 13:49:02 EST

Hi folks,

I have a dual CPU PIII-500 running Redhat 6.0, 2.2.12SMP. I am running
MetroX with two Matrox Millenium II cards. Not XFree86 because the official
release doesn't support dual heads just yet.

If I drag/resize a window while xmms is playing an MP3 file, it skips.

I tried everything I could, checking the use Realtime priority box for xmms,
setting it's priority by hand to -20, upping the priority of X to 20.

No matter what I do, the skipping does not go away.

Seems a little strange that a realtime process cannot get all the CPU it
wants on a dual CPU box with nothing else running (except for X).

Is there any bleeding edge kernel patch I can apply to make things better?

Thanks very much!

-Kirat