Re: PCI in docking station

From: Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 04:59:16 EST

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew McMillan <Andrew@catalyst.net.nz> writes:

Andrew> When I modprobe the TLAN driver I get: Jan 20 09:00:27
Andrew> localhost kernel: TLAN driver, v1.0, (C) 1997-8 Caldera, Inc.
Andrew> Jan 20 09:00:27 localhost kernel: PCI: Enabling bus mastering
Andrew> for device 01:60 Jan 20 09:00:27 localhost kernel: TLAN: eth1
Andrew> irq=11 io=e800, Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX PCI UTP, Rev. 16

Andrew> But then when I ifconfig it the log says: Jan 20 09:02:42
Andrew> localhost kernel: TLAN: Cannot open eth1 because IRQ 11 is
Andrew> already in use.

Looks pretty obvious from the lspci output, the bios likes to assign
several devices to IRQ 11, including the video card, the IDE (CMD646)
and the network interface. Have you tried fiddling with the bios and
see if you can force it to assign interrupts differently?

Otherwise you just need to make sure that the device drivers are
capable of running with shared interrupts - it looks like both the IDE
code and the Tlan drivers do that in 2.2.10 at least though, you may
need to poke the code and find out why it doesn't.

Jes