[patch-2.3.40-pre6] nfds limit for poll() raised to 131 million (is that enough?)

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 03:34:15 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Bill Wendling wrote:
> struct pollfd **fds;
>
> /* [...] */
>
> fds = (struct pollfd **)kmalloc(
> (1 + (nfds - 1) / POLL_PER_CHUNK) * sizeof(struct pollfd *),
> GFP_KERNEL);

ok, fine, but the above still has a limit of the argument to kmalloc <128K
which is around 131 million descriptors - I suppose that ought to be
enough for everybody... This is a theoretical limit as kmalloc()s of
individual chunks will start failing much sooner (when the total causes
fragmentation high enough for a single chunk allocation to fail).

Thanks for your suggestion - here is the **fds implementation:

  http://www.ocston.org/~tigran/patches/pollfix2.patch

Does Alan have any preference or are we all working in the wrong direction
and he prefers kmalloc/vmalloc split (or some other) idea?

Regards,
------
Tigran A. Aivazian | http://www.sco.com
Escalations Research Group | tel: +44-(0)1923-813796
Santa Cruz Operation Ltd | http://www.ocston.org/~tigran