Re: 2.2.14 feels slow and non-interactive.

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 00:40:46 EST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

>Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 02:15:25 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
>To: mharris@meteng.on.ca
>Subject: Re: 2.2.14 feels slow and non-interactive.
>
>> sluggish feel to it at times. When switching from X to the
>> console and back often I have to wait anywhere up to 5-10 seconds
>
>Sillies check first: Do you have your disk set to spin down ?

No. ;o) I guess you have to ask that to be sure though.. ;o)

Keep in mind that under 2.2.13 it doesn't occur, but under 2.2.14
it does. It takes a while, but not long to notice it, and it is
repeatable.

>> is pulling it out of swap space or something. X starts up slow
>> as well, and when PINE checkpoints my 20Mb email folders it takes
>> much longer or so it seems.
>
>Do you get a lot of disk activity at these points?

Not an incredible amount, but more than usual definitely. During
the delay until I can move the mouse, or do stuff, the disk is
active 100% - usually anywhere from 4-10 seconds...

It feels like a memory leak or something like that... I figured
maybe it was Netscape or something, but it happens even when
Netscape hasn't been started after boot, and only in 2.2.14.
Very strange.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org