Known egcs/gcc bugs?

From: Nils Faerber (Nils.Faerber@unix-ag.org)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 17:16:26 EST

Hello!
I am still hunting the cause why my notebook sometimes just freezes with
_any_ kernel version I tested so far. The most stable solution so far is
2.3.39 using gcc-2.95.2-3 and binutils-2.9.5.0.22-1. So my question is if
changing the compiler from RedHat's 6.1 egcs to gcc-2.95 could have changed
something that toggled the freeze?
What I can say so far regarding the freezes is that it seems to be a very
nifty timing problem during DMA transfers. The notebook supports a
diagnostic LED dongle on it's parallel port. After boot the last "message"
is still displayed on the eight LEDs. When the freeze occurs all LEDs are
switched off! Mystery... no Ooops, no panic, no nothing, just freeze. The
only cause for a freeze like that I can imagine is, like I already wrote,
a hanging DMA transfer. Interestingly some time after the freeze the CPU fan
starts to run like hell which tells me that the CPU is also hung
in an endless loop. All interrupts seem to be turned off at that moment
because nothing works anymore, no SysReq, no capslock-LED, nothing. What else
could cause such a freeze?
OK. </complaining> ;)
Any help always welcome ;)
Thanks!