Linux Trace Toolkit vs. IBM Kernel Trace Facility ... Re: Paper on "Java, Threads, and Scheduling in Linux"

From: Karim Yaghmour (karym@info.polymtl.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 17:52:52 EST

Hello,

Going through your anouncement "Java, threads and scheduling
under Linux", I was stunned to see your description of the
IBM Kernel Trace Facility since it's resemblance with the
existing Linux Trace Toolkit is striking (LTT can be found at
http://www.info.polymtl.ca/~karym/trace). In fact, everything
described about IBM KTF is available with LTT, except that LTT
is already GPL ;). Were you aware of the existence of LTT? Do you
wish to position IBM KTF as a competitor to LTT? Would you be
interested in contributing to LTT?

The LTT kernel patch uses kernel hooks to collect information
about critical kernel events (so does KTF). These events are
collected by a run-time configurable module which signals a daemon
when it's buffers are full. Thereafter, the daemon commits the
collected data into a file which can be later analyzed or viewed
using the decoding utility. The later enables the user to view the
traces in a graphical form, simplifying analysis of complex
process interactions. Everything with an overhead of less than
2%!

Regards.