Re: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM

From: Mark Hahn (hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 12:25:29 EST

> > http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/java2/index.html
>
> I read it. It was a excellent paper. I'm amazed by just rearranging the
> data in task_struct it reduces the time in the schedular up to 30% on

I read it and was underwhelmed. anyone who follows linux-kernel
would know that the scheduler is optimized for normal loads. that is,
those with only a handfull of runnable threads. people have rearranged
task_struct before, but that was a while ago, and fast development
implies high code entropy. the paper _was_ organized nicely ;)

> Pentium II. I have the patch included below. Anyone working on a
> many-to-many model for threads for linux?

god, I hope not. user-level threading is Just Plain Wrong if you can
possibly avoid it. the only venture in that direction I can imagine
would be Mach-like scheduler activations. though I'm sure it would take
a pretty major problem with the existing scheduler to motivate Linus &co
to take that step...

regards, mark hahn.

--
operator may differ from spokesperson.	            hahn@coffee.mcmaster.ca