[ANNOUNCE] rewrite of the linux bridging code

From: Lennert Buytenhek (buytenh@opensource.captech.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 10:22:20 EST

Hello all,

Over the last couple of weeks/months I did a (much-needed) rewrite of the
linux ethernet bridge. I believe it's stable enough now to be released to
the general public.

Patch against 2.2.14 + userspace support tools:
ftp://opensource.captech.com/bridge
http://opensource.captech.com/bridge

The most important benefit of the new code is that multiple independent
bridge instances are supported. But it's also a lot cleaner (the old
code is a big mess) and more modular (it works as a module for example),
and in places it's also a bit smarter (f.e. it stores the forwarding
database entries in a hash table, not an AVL tree....)

There is no bridge policying included (yet): IMHO this belongs in a
separate module and not in the bridge itself. There is also no (broken)
multicast limiting: this does not belong in the bridge.

I'm not submitting this for inclusion (yet), there might still be some
bugs here and there. Instead, I'm asking everybody to give my patch a try
and tell me how things work for you. I've been running the code for a few
days now and it seems to be stable.

If everybody's okay with it, I'm willing to become the maintainer of the
bridge code.

Greetings,
Lennert Buytenhek
<buytenh@opensource.captech.com>

PS I know that 2.2.14 included a bridge patch by somebody else (Matthew
   Grant); I checked with him and he seems to be quite happy with my new
   stuff.