connections reset

From: Marc Peiser (marc.peiser@shopsmart.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 08:08:13 EST

I'm running slackware 4.0 as a gateway on our network. The machine is
running kernel 2.2.13. It has 2 network cards, one for internet and the
other for our internal network.

The problem is that any connection (eg ftp, ssh) from a workstation (win
or linux) to a machine outside our network gets its connections reset
every 20-30 miniuts. Could this be a problem with the way I set up our
gateway? Below are the options I selected in the kernel config. I'm not
running any other proxy/firewall.

Networking options
<*> Packet socket
[ ] Kernel/User netlink socket
[*] Network firewalls
[ ] Socket Filtering
<*> Unix domain sockets
[*] TCP/IP networking
[ ] IP: multicasting
[ ] IP: advanced router
[ ] IP: kernel level autoconfiguration
[*] IP: firewalling
[ ] IP: transparent proxy support
[*] IP: masquerading
--- Protocol-specific masquerading support will be built as modules.
[*] IP: ICMP masquerading
--- Protocol-specific masquerading support will be built as modules.
[ ] IP: optimize as router not host
< > IP: tunneling
< > IP: GRE tunnels over IP
[ ] IP: aliasing support
[*] IP: TCP syncookie support (not enabled per default)
--- (it is safe to leave these untouched)
< > IP: Reverse ARP
[*] IP: Allow large windows (not recommended if <16Mb of memory)
< > The IPX protocol
< > Appletalk DDP

This is in my init script:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/ipchains -F
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/24 -d 0/0 -j MASQ

Regards, Marc