Re: [patch] Proper MCA detection for AHA-1640

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 07:03:42 EST

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Adam Fritzler wrote:

> Patch attached lets the aha1542 driver detect the compatible MCA version
> (the AHA-1640) using the proper MCA bus routines.
>
> This is mainly a cosmetic change, as the AHA-1640 works just fine
> without it. However, the benefits come in when the adapter is located
> at odd addresses (normal driver only probes two of the possible six).
> On MCA these will get detected properly, where without the patch you
> would need to specify the parametes. In that regard, it may be
> slightly safer, but I doubt it. The ISA autoprobe still happens (a
> behavior that must remain in order to support machines with both MCA
> and ISA).

To my knowledge there are no machine with both MCA and ISA. Please
inform me if I'm wrong here (I really hope not, as quite some code
assumes they're mutually exclusive. However, PCI & MCA can coexist.)

> You also need this patch to get your 1640 to be listed in /proc/mca :)

Ok.

> Works on my PS/2 Model 80. It only adds stuff thats wrapped in CONFIG_MCA
> checks, so shouldn't affect you ISA users at all.

I'll do a thorough review of your code, but unless someone yells:
'No! ISA & MCA _does_ coexist in Machine xxyy from company zz', I will
make some changes to the code that skips ISA autoprobe if an MCA-adapter
is found...

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </