Re: network block device server (nbdd)

From: Sebastian Tomac (sebastian.tomac@bct.ericsson.se)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 03:53:48 EST

Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Sebastian Tomac wrote:
> > I've written a network block device daemon (nbdd)
> > server running within the kernel.
> >
> > The network block device client (nbd, currently part
> > of the main Linux kernel) enables a Linux machine to
> > access a block device or file on a remote machine as
> > one of its own block devices.
> >
> > The network block device daemon server (nbdd) enables
> > a Linux box to export one of its local block devices
> > or files to a Linux box running the nbd client.
> >
> > The network block device daemon kernel patch
> > (kernel 2.3.39) is available at
> > http://sites.netscape.net/sebtomac/nbd/nbdd.html
> > Where you also can find HOWTO and user land
> > administration tools.
>
> Hi,
>
> Does this support ioctls on devices?
>
> Can you read
>
> http://www.bitwizard.nl/remote_devices/
>
> It is an isolated island at the moment: There are no external links
> right now, and I haven't advertized it yet....
>
> Roger.

The current version (0.2) does not support ioctl against the nbdd exported
device, from the nbd client. Implementing it would, however be straight
forward.
I see your point if we particularly if we consider using "layered" block
drivers (raid,lvm..),
but for "ordinary block devices", block size, and these kind of parameters
for the exported devices on the nbdd sever, are not really relevant to the
nbd client.

I'll look into it.

regards
Sebastian