Re: Userland Kernel Download Tool

From: Brian May (bam@snoopy.apana.org.au)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 01:55:28 EST

>> OTOH, it is convenient for the developers to have everything
>> together in one piece, not a collection of separate pieces that
>> have to be kept in sync and that cause problems because "I
>> downloaded core-2.6.20 today,

    dg50> Complete and utter agreement. Any scheme that requires users
    dg50> to download multiple tarballs invites the possibility of
    dg50> mis-syncing and thus much confusion.

What if each source tarball come with a predefined file with the
version number? The Makefiles (during build and/or configure) would
check that the version for each component is exactly the same.

This would allow:

- The Makefile only needs to check components that are selected.

- If the Makefile can't find a component version, or if it is at the
wrong version it could give the option of automatically downloading
(with whatever protocol) the correct version of that section from the
mirror (which must already be configured). Perhaps it could allow
downloadings patchs and/or do a full download. Or rsync. For instance,
a user could just download the base part, and have the rest downloaded
automatically as required. Or maybe the user has already downloaded
it, so that the Makefile just needs to extract the contents.

- it is probably not a good idea to allow full download of the
component (as distinct from patches and/or rsync) if it already has
been installed - other people might have solutions for this though.

- there probably needs to be some automatic tool to create these parts.

As an alternative approach, each component could have "depends"
information, much like Debian/Red-Hat packages. My original approach
is very similar, but doesn't allow easy removal of components (unless
directories are kept seperate), and I have made the assumption that
all versions should be the same.

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>