RE: Why wrapping PIDs is evil [was 32bit]

From: Brett Person (person@netcenter.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 20:32:07 EST

Wouldn't someone writting some kind of rabbit process eater generate a
fairly high load average? I've seen my system climb with a load average
in the hundreds with processes like this.

I would thinl it would be trivial to spot someone doing something like
this. My favorite solution for somnthing like this is to disable the
account he is using, and then have a talk with him.

As for wrapping pids, I'm told that AIX assigns a bit of randomness to its
pids to prevent things like this.

Brett G. Person
person@slackware.com
person@netcenter.net