Re: 2.3.40-5 -- "apm" no longer recognizes that I have an APM-enabled kernel.

From: Jamie Lokier (lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 18:17:56 EST

Miles Lane wrote:
> When I run the command "apm", I receive an error stating:
> No APM support in kernel
> This in spite of having APM enabled in my .config file:

That's because you've got ACPI enabled too. ACPI now overrides APM if
it is compiled in.

I don't know why it does that -- APM seems to work fine with ACPI in
earlier kernels, and now suspend takes longer and the clock isn't
restored properly after a suspend.

The solution: turn off ACPI. I can't see what the point in using the
ACPI support is at the moment. If the ACPI user space tools
(e.g. acpid) do anything useful, it isn't documented.

For me the only effect of acpid is to prevent suspends from suspending
at all. Nothing useful like battery life estimation, clock updating,
that sort of thing.

A lot of work is obviously going into the kernel ACPI driver. Of
course I'd like to minimise power consumption on my laptop. So I'm
wondering, how is that kernel driver getting tested? Is there a user
space tool I haven't found?

-- Jamie