Re: [Patch] Polling on more than 16000 file descriptors

From: Bill Wendling (wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 13:18:47 EST

Also sprach Alan Cox:
} > I just noticed your patch but why do you use vmalloc() above just 1 page
} > and not the kmalloc()'s limit of 128K? Surely below 128K kmalloc() is
} > faster than vmalloc()? (I know ipc_alloc() does the same but why?).
}
} 128K kmallocs often fail. Probably something like a 32K kmalloc limit
} with vmalloc if the kmalloc fails or >32K ?
}
This would be sensible. I really just copied what was in fs/open.c
"alloc_fd_array()" function. But, then, it could become icky if we have
to determine how to free this area if, say, the 32K kmalloc fails and we
have to vmalloc the area. I think flags are cheesy :-).