Re: [Semi-OT,important] ORBS globally blocks users of these lists

From: Glynn Clements (glynn@sensei.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 07:03:17 EST

Jonathan Nicholson wrote:

> > > The method ORBS is using is wrong. By ORBS, I am guilty until proven
> > > innocent
> >
> > Yep. Unfortunately there isn't any alternative, as the guilty can hide
> > their guilt behind IP filters.
>
> My 2p - ORBS just doesn't do checking correctly, we got a message a few
> months back saying we were to be black holed - but we're not an open
> relay, Janet tested us over a year ago and gave us a clean bill of
> health... Their checks just gave bogus answers.

AFAIK, the checks were fixed before anyone was blackholed. According
to the ORBS site, the check involves sending a message, which has to
be received before the site is deemed to be an open relay.

The old tests simply checked whether the server accepted the message,
regardless of whether it delivered or discarded it.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>