Re: [2.3.3x] ALI M15x3 chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL)

From: Andrzej Krzysztofowicz (ankry@green.mif.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 07:12:01 EST

Hi,

> > Note, that driver author (from ALI) suggested that for M5229 rev. <= 0x20
> > UDMA is "not stable", so it should be disabled by the driver...
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. Do you know what the upgrade possibilities
> to a later rev. are? I could not find any useful info on Ali's website. Is
> the rev. 0x20 code h/w or firmware in the chip? If f/w can it be upgraded?

Change your MoBo ... It is hardware revision.

> Does anybody know the nature of the 'instability' ?

I heard that some UDMA ALi problems are CRC-error related.
But I'm not absolutely sure if this is the problem cocerning low chipset
revisions.
If so, it mighat be possible do disable CRC-error checking.
However it may inflict other kernel part opration ...

> I hope to try this once I have backed-up my root HD. I'm puzzled by the
> argument to idebus. Where do you get the 30 from? I cannot find any

at LILO prompt or append= in lilo.conf...
driver assumes 40MHz if it is not set.