Re: [Semi-OT,important] ORBS globally blocks users of these lists

From: Florian Weimer (fw@s.netic.de)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 06:21:35 EST

khim@sch57.msk.ru (Khimenko Victor) writes:

> MA> This is the wrong approach. If ORBS cannot probe me, they cannot decide
> MA> if I am a spam relayer or not.
>
> ORBS has simple and consistent policy "be probed or be listed". Read the FAQ,
> pleeease.

Their policy is more like `do anything, and you'll be listed'.
They actively scan for relays, but do not admit that (I don't know
if this has changed in the past). They list hosts which never have
relayed any piece of U[BC]E mail. They list hosts which aren't an open
relay by themselves. They give you a few days (3? 5?) to close a few
dozens relays of your customers until they blacklist the your smarthost,
effectively disrupting your mail service, despite the fact that these
machines never relayed any U[BC]E and the smarthost itself isn't an
open relay.

In short, they are terrorists. Of course, they are fighting for a good
cause, but their methods destroy the medium they want to save.